Tiffen Community

Tiffen Community (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Davis & Sanford Tripods (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tripod head change (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931)

fstop 04-26-2011 06:40 PM

tripod head change

I have an older DG H4 tripod in great shape, however I would like to replace the head with a mid-sized ball head for use with a DSLR still camera. Any suggestions?
THANKS

Jason Schneider 04-29-2011 10:46 AM

Replacement head for older DG H4 tripod

The head on your DG H4 tripod is secured by a screw and you should be able to remove the head with simple tools. However, these screws were often expoxied in place so you may have to use a solvent such as acetone and/or put the tripod in a vise and apply considerable force with a long-handled wrench. Once you remove the old head a Davis & Sanford ball head--we recommend the BHQ11-- can easily be installed. Please let us know how you make out, or if you have any further questions. Best regards, Jason Schneider:)

fstop 04-30-2011 09:14 PM

head change

THANKS for the info on the DG /H4. i was able to easily remove the H4 head, it was held on the stud by a simple C-clip. The stud is approx 2" long and 1/2" in diameter. Most ball heads I have found, mount by screwing them onto a 3/8" threaded stud.

Jason Schneider 05-02-2011 10:27 AM

Mounting new ball head on DG H4 tripod

The 1/2-inch stud you've exposed is grooved but not threaded, so you will have to use a tap and dye set or ask a machinist to chase a 3/8x16 thread on its end so you can mount an alternative head. If you go this route, we would suggest the David & Sanford FM18 head rather than the BHQ11 ball head, but the choice is yours. Regrettably we do not have any alternative heads available that fit this 30+ year old tripod directly. Best of luck and good shooting! Jason Schneider

fstop 05-02-2011 06:30 PM

what length of threads do i need to cut onto the stud?

Jason Schneider 05-03-2011 09:15 AM

Length (depth) of thread to be cut on mounting stud

Hi, About 1/2 inch of 3/8x16 thread chased onto the end of the stud should be sufficient for mounting one of the current Davis & Sanford heads. Good luck, and best regards, Jason Schneider

fstop 05-03-2011 11:31 AM

head c hange

thanks for all you help Jason.. i REALLY appreciate it

GiseleB1966 03-15-2012 08:06 PM

tripod head change

Achirangshu IMHO, going for a Ball head is better for Macro work. If you are not buying online, why not try these out with your Camera mounted on the tripod and see the stability. Ball Head is supposed to be more expensive but certainly a better choice for Nature work.

AgnerWagner 04-18-2012 11:56 AM

tripod head change

It was very considerate of Tocad to send you a replacement leg for your Sunpak tripod, and if we could tell you how to install it properly we would be happy to do so. Unfortunately this is not our product and we do not know the specifications of your unit so we cannot advise you. We suggest you contact customer service at Tocad. Good luck, and best regards, Jason Schneider