Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Suggestions on an Insert for a F-1X? Help!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
brjphoto

Default Suggestions on an Insert for a F-1X? Help!

I just purchased my first Domke bag. I got the F-1X from a marketplace seller on Amazon. Unfortunately, the 720-240 (4-compartment insert) was not included.

I need to purchase a replacement insert for my bag, but I'm having a hard time choosing the correct one. I don't feel obligated to standard insert. I would like to shop around to find one that best fits my shooting style.

Really, I would like to get an insert that would old a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, and maybe a flash on one end of the bag, while a D700 with a 70-200 mounted could be placed in the main compartment.

I'm looking at the 720-220 2 compartment, but the dimensions in the Domke Brochure don't match the dimensions listed on a number of websites.

I would even consider a 700-211 one comparment insert, but I've read that it may or may not be compatible with the F-1X bag.

Bottom line: I'm really confused. Has anyone been down this road? Any suggestions on a good insert for the Little Bit Bigger bag?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 AM

My favorite insert for almost all my Domke bags is the 720-230 3-compartment insert along the back edge. With the F1x there's room for even a gripped body with long lens lying horizontally in front of the insert; I keep my (Canon) 24-70 2.8, 15-30 and 70-200 2.8 in the insert. You could put the flash in there instead of one of the lenses. There's really no disadvantage to the extra compartment even if you don't use it, but it would also work to keep batteries, or an audio recorder or GPS unit, in.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM
brjphoto

So I've done additional research and I guess it boils down to:

Is the 700-211 (1 compartment) or the 720-220 (2 compartment) going to be a better fit for the F-1X bag. I'm trying to fit a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 with a lens hood into this thing.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
brjphoto

Thanks Jon. I was considering that as well. I assuming you have to remove the lens hood to fit the 24-70 into the 3 compartment insert? Is that correct? What do you do with the lens hood? Leave it home? Just curious. That had looked like a decent option.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM

The multi-compartment inserts now come with movable inner dividers. The FA-211 is kinda big; your lens would rattle around in it. I'd get the 720-220 or 720-230.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Actually it fits just fine with the hood in place. And with the newer inserts and their movable dividers you should have no trouble getting it to work even if hte Nikon hood is bigger than the Canon one (I don't know if it is or not, just that you wouldn't have trouble adjusting the dividers).

Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 AM
jonathan2340

I have no idea about it. I just want to say that this is quiet interesting information that you have posted here. Keep it up.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 PM
brjphoto

Jon, based in part on your recommendations I orderd the 720-230 3 - compartment insert. When it arrives I'll post some pictures so others can get an idea of how everything fits together.

I'm still considering the two compartment instert at some point, but I'm going to wait and see how much space I have left after this first go around.

[QUOTE=Jon;5744]Actually it fits just fine with the hood in place. And with the newer inserts and their movable dividers you should have no trouble getting it to work even if hte Nikon hood is bigger than the Canon one (I don't know if it is or not, just that you wouldn't have trouble adjusting the dividers).[/QUOTE]

The best insert!?!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Default The best insert!?!

When I started designing the bag I based it on a fishing bag and had a row of three compartments then the back was empty. For fish.

Former NY Times photog and later Director of Photography at the Seattle Times, Gary Settle suggested a six-pack. And this evolved to the four compartment insert, but I always offered other inserts. Depends on how often you store the camera with long lens.

The new four compartment with adjustable "X" divider works best for me today with the wider-fast zoom lenses. I basically have made it three compartments so I have enough room for the lens shade.

The F811 - Photo Laptop is my favorite because I like things to stand up, This bag as the depth to allow me to keep a camera attached to the longer telephoto. With things standing up the bag wont stick out and is easier to get through doorways and crowds. I always hesitated in building the F! bag, thinking it was too big to get through crowds and under plane seats. Finally got talked into making it when some photogs insisted they would carry it all! And they needed lots of lenses to shoot both in color and b/w film.

Today, one camera body does it all with digital, so why have an F-1 sticking out banging into things, try the F811.

I also take the padding out of the front side of the insert, so there is only padding on the ends and the back side. I always feel the stuff in the outside pockets serve the same purpose as padding. The pads need to be flexible to hug your body. A box on your side rolls around and keeps sliding off your shoulder. (I've actually removed the padding sewn in the outside walls on the F811.)