Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Request for help with selecting small bag or pouch for fixed lens Yashica Electro 35
Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Norma

Default Request for help with selecting small bag or pouch for fixed lens Yashica Electro 35

Hi,

I am a very satisfied owner of two Domke bags for my cherished Nikon film slr outfits; I presently use your F-2, and F-6, both in cotton canvas. I love them for their functionality, looks, comfort, and especially the fact that they are made in the U.S. I go well out of my way, and will even do without, when a product is made in China, for myriad moral, environmental, and economic reasons. For these reasons, I always recommend your products, and have given my sister your new F-10, and my brother, the F-3.

Very recently, I had a fixed lens Yashica rangefinder, the Electro 35, restored professionally. I am very eager to use it, but would like to find the best way to carry it. It is 5.5" long, 3.5" high, and the depth from the end of the lens to the back of the body is 3" (ideally, I would like to carry it with a lens hood attached, which would add about .5 to .75 inches to the depth).

So, might you have a US made pouch or small belt pack which would carry this comfortably? Any other ideas for carrying this rangefinder comfortably and accessibly in a compact manner? The only other things I might want to also have room for would be a few rolls of film, and a cell phone. I plan to purchase your 1" Gripper Camera strap for it, too, so perhaps I should mention that it will also be attached to the Yashica. I think I would prefer to carry it on a wide belt, as I'm really looking for something compact, given that I already have your Domke F-6 shoulder bag. Your expert rec's would be much appreciated. TIA, Norma

Get to the camera quickly
Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Default Get to the camera quickly

I remember how Cartier-Bresson carried the camera over a shoulder hidden from view and when he saw a seen he would hold the camera in his hand with the strap wrapped around his wrist so he could quickly capture the moment.

The narrow Gripper strap isn't notices, but it is hard on the camera sometimes to be banging around on the shoulder. Alternatives are to keep it in a Protective Wrap (A bright yellow wrap would be great for that Yashica) and put it in some other bag, like a purse, book bag or briefcase.

I like changing lenses and carrying extra data cards, so I find it easier to have something like the Belt Bag which will also hold a flash and maybe a water bottle.
-jgd

Could you mention a specific belt bag?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Norma

Default Could you mention a specific belt bag?

Jim,

It's really great to talk with you! Thanks, but could you mention a specific bag; perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't remember a Domke bag by that name.. I should have looked through the bags before posting, and will check through them later.

I'm almost tempted to go with the F-5XB, but I've noticed several new bags, of which one is similar, but smaller.. I'm thinking along these lines as this Yashica rangefinder is brand new to me. I also have a Nikon n6006 (I'm a film lover!:)!) and a 28f2.0 prime lens, as well as the 50mm f1.8. That way I could use this sort of bag for both the Yashica, and for times when the Nikons might be more appropriate.

How about the "903 Pouch"; I'm going by memory, but was looking at a pouch last night that seemed just big enough to hold this Yashica Electro 35, but only if it was flexible.. Also, if this one might work, is it made in the US? If this might work well, it might be a good immediate solution, as my funds are a bit tight right now. But, please only give me your honest opinions. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Could be the F-945 Belt Pouch he's referring to; it's around 6" deep and 7ish long. When you follow the link to that on the Domke site that [i]isn't[/i] the F-945 in the picture; looks like the F-901.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Andrea

Yes, the F-945 is the pouch. It's 6.75" High x 8.5" Wide x 4" Deep.

And the F-5XA is the other one you are refering to. It's just like the F-5XB, but not as wide. All other features are the same. The F-5XA's interior is 6" High x 7.5" Wide x 4" Deep.

Last edited by Andrea; 10-27-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Norma

Thanks Jon. I did find that pouch with pics on a retailer's site. Definitely something I'll consider.

Andrea, I appreciate it. The F-5XA looks really nice.

I do have an 11" Domke lens wrap, but I think as Jim alluded to, it would be really nice to have the camera readily accessed; having to unwrap it would defeat that purpose. After further thinking about it, this bag or pouch will be pretty much exclusively for the Yashica, and not for double duty with the Nikons.

Any other thoughts on this would be most welcome. Thanks.