Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Photogs as inventors
Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Photogs as inventors

Check out American Photographer magazine story on photo tools, it gives Domke credit for meeting a need and covers some new tools that aren't aimed at snapshooters.

"It’s a moment that most serious photographers have experienced: You’re in the middle of a shoot, and you realize that none of the off-the-shelf photo gear at your disposal can solve the particular technical problem you’re facing or produce the creative effect you want. You cobble together a solution and move on.

Then there are those photographers who stop and think, “I’m likely to have this problem or want this effect again. What can I build myself?” Of those who actually go on to make such a tool, a few figure out how to produce their invention and sell it to the rest of us. Some whose names you might know include photojournalist Jim Domke, whose eponymous photo bags were the first good soft-sided ones available; beauty photographer Peter Gowland, whose custom-built view cameras served a variety of exotic purposes; and commercial photographer Gary Fong, whose light modifiers helped redefine on-camera flash photography."

When I designed the bag, they only had suitcases filled with foam to cut to the shape of your gear. You couldn't work out of it. It was simply storage to help carry to and from a location. Camera makers thought the camera bag was simply a storage container.

Domke must
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Arnaud

Default Domke must

I like the Domke bags for three reasons :
- I can turn the things upside down several times, I always come back to my F2 as the best one, even with digital pro camera and lenses.
- The look is cool and all the pros like that, despite what they can say.
- They are still built in USA, a country where workers are still respected and reasonably paid.

Good Gear
Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Good Gear

Good gear why?

Because good gear helps me take photos quicker, or take better photos.

Not in your league, but I've put food on the table with a small photo business in the past. I don't need storage bags, I need shooter bags. There are none finer than Domke!

I've strayed. I bought a Think Tank Retro 10 recently and took it to Cape Cod on a vacation trip. I should have taken my F-3X Ruggedwear, or my F-2. I would have had more fun, and taken more photos! I traded another photographer to try a different bag. It's heavier, and more awkward than my Domkes.

Thanks! From the heart.

DaveL

Tags
fong, gowland, inventing, tools