Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tripods > Davis & Sanford Tripods

Adjusting drag on fluid head
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
chucks

Default Adjusting drag on fluid head

Is there anyway to adjust the amount of drag or resistance on the Davis/Sanford fluid tripod head? The one I have works too stiff when I pan and the tripod slides across the floor when I pan. I use a Canon XHA1 camcorder on the tripod.

Adjusting drag on Davis & Sanford fluid head tripods
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM

Default Adjusting drag on Davis & Sanford fluid head tripods

The most popular Davis & Sanford fluid head tripod is the FM-18, which is factory set up to pan properly with relatively heavy cameras up to 18 pounds. This tripod has an internal adjustment that will allow you to reduce the amount of damping (drag) to accommodate lighter cameras like yours. Please contact Leigh Boden, our resident tripod expert, and he will tell you precisely how to do it yourself without having to send it in. Good luck, and best regards.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
chucks

Thank you for the information. How do I contact Leigh Boden?

tripod help
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Default tripod help

Hi Chuck:
My name is Leigh Boden , Product Manager for tripods at Tiffen. You can contact me at [email]lboden@tiffen.com[/email] or you can call me at 800 645 2522 x 3228.
Leigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
Is there anyway to adjust the amount of drag or resistance on the Davis/Sanford fluid tripod head? The one I have works too stiff when I pan and the tripod slides across the floor when I pan. I use a Canon XHA1 camcorder on the tripod.

Adjusting drag on fluid head
Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
coaxord09

Default Adjusting drag on fluid head

I have been looking at camcorder fluid heads suitable for mounting on either of my existing tripods Gitzo 1325, 1228. Most camcorders weigh between one and two pounds. Most fluid heads are rated to carry a lot more than this, two pounds being at the low end of the load weight for most. What are the disadvantages in using a head rated for significantly more weight than necessary other than the obvious cost and weight? Is there a good fluid head costing less than the average camcorder suitable for the 1-2 lb camcorder? I am not adverse to spending some money for a good one; cameras come and go but tripods/heads are forever.

Thanks
Paul Kerfoot

Fluid head for lightweight cameras/camcorders
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Fluid head for lightweight cameras/camcorders

For your use profile we strongly recommend the Davis & Sanford FM18 head. Although it is good for up to 18 pounds, it can be used for very lightweight cameras as well and will give excellent smooth movements. Lots of people have written in to let us know how perfect the FM18 is on lightweight cameras. Good luck, and good shooting. Best regards, Jason Schneider