Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Lyric

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7848461520_c68a573c1a_c.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Well, the three things that strike me as odd are the black Velcro, the snap (with or without "Domke"), and the "The Rugged Professional" on the logo ribbon. The "Crafted with Pride" looks like one that was used as a sewn-in tag for a while, and also as a paper tag on the factory-fresh bags. But then I haven't seen every single production run that ever came out. That certainly looks like the F3x design.

That snap is what especially bugs me; It's possible that my F-801 had a snap on one of the outside (papers) pockets, but that was a very early one, contemporaneous with my first F-2, and pre-dating use of the plastic sliders, the "DOMKE" ribbons, or the non-slip strap. It was also a somewhat different colour than the current "Sand" offering, being a yellower (and possibly lighter, though some of that is probably fading over the years). I just don't see why they would have used a snap on the outside front pocket, which after all can otherwise carry fairly bulky items - it seems much more inconvenient than either a flap or no closure at all would be.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Lyric

So, are you saying there is no way to tell if this is genuine or not? I have to say the bag looks old and well worn and seems to be of good quality. It also seems to be in keeping with the design of all the other older F3s I've seen. As for the "The Rugged Professional" tag, there is a picture of one on the splash page of this site when I first logged in, so that ribbon seems to be genuine at least.

As for the snap, I really only added the photo for authenticity's sake because I have never seen one with that before.

I guess I was thinking this bag could be a prototype or something, I don't know, but I would really like to know if 's genuine or not

Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

They've used the "Rugged Professional" slogan since pretty near the beginning. I just haven't seen it on the "DOMKE" labels sewn on any of my bags, and I have a lot of Domke gear. They've all, where the label existed, been just a solid bar under the "DOMKE".

[IMG]http://jonbarrettphoto.smugmug.com/photos/826444481_yHbVN-L-2.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe Jim Domke, next time he's on, will be able to verify whether those features that strike me as odd might in fact have been included in one run or another of F3x bags.

Wow.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Lyric

Default Wow.

Is that just your gear closet? Impressive.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

It is.

And on your bag - was visiting my sister, whose brown F2 dates to when I gave her my FTb, so late '86 or early '87. It has "The Rugged Professional" on the stripe under the "DOMKE". It also has a snap in the middle of the back pocket, as does my classic F2 from the early '80s (metal fittings all around) and its companion F801. They don't have anything embossed in them however. All that says your bag probably dates between late '87 and mid '88. I just dug out my navy F2 which I probably got in early '88 (that'd be this one) and it does indeed have the snap on the back pocket, with DOMKE on it.
[IMG]http://jonbarrettphoto.smugmug.com/photos/576613756_o7z32-L-3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM
angkan

may be it is a prototype.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Lyric

Thanks for your help, Jon. I'm loving the bag. I just wish it had a hand strap, Thinking about dyeing it and then reweather sealing it.

[QUOTE=Jon;6112]It is.

And on your bag - was visiting my sister, whose brown F2 dates to when I gave her my FTb, so late '86 or early '87. It has "The Rugged Professional" on the stripe under the "DOMKE". It also has a snap in the middle of the back pocket, as does my classic F2 from the early '80s (metal fittings all around) and its companion F801. They don't have anything embossed in them however. All that says your bag probably dates between late '87 and mid '88. I just dug out my navy F2 which I probably got in early '88 (that'd be this one) and it does indeed have the snap on the back pocket, with DOMKE on it.
[IMG]http://jonbarrettphoto.smugmug.com/photos/576613756_o7z32-L-3.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]