Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Which Bag to get
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
neillarson

Default Which Bag to get

I am bouncing between the F2 and the F6. I think my gear will all fit in the F6 but as I can't find someplace close by to but my hands on one, I have to rely on pics and descriptions. Here is what I am carrying:

Nikon D3000
18-55MM AF-S DX
55-200MM AF-S DX
70-300MM AF-S VR
SB600
Assorted filters
Batteries, Memory Cards, Cables, cleaning gear

I prefer to carry with a lens attached and would love it if I can strap my monopod under or on the bag.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 PM

There's an amazing Canon forum. They have great bag reviews. Just a sec, I'll go get a link...
[url]http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=585253[/url]

I'm a new Domke bag owner. I have an F3 (?)==it's the waxed bag.

I carry a D80 with grip attached, a 70-300VR, an 18-200VR, and have lots of room (exterior pocket) for a 600 flash, leaving another exterior pocket for whatever...usually my G11.

Jon is a moderator there, a Domke bag expert (my opinion fwiw), and he posts here.
sabesh post there and here and has written at least one excellent review.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM

I'd expect the F2 to be a better fit for your list. IMO the F6 is too shallow for most longer lenses, like your 70-300 zoom.

As to strapping a monopod onto the bottom, there aren't really any anchor points for that. The front snap rings [i]could[/i] be used for that but then they'd be pulled out of position for the flap closure. There are a set of D rings on the back about 2/3 of the way up., for piggy-backiing a satchel or for attaching the BackPack Strap, that could be used. Unless you've got a very-many-section monopod though, the monopod will be sticking out at both ends when carried horizontally and secured to the bag. The first Domkes included a couple of strips of Velcro on the strap so you could fasten a monopod there. That got dropped pretty early on though you could duplicate it fairly easily if you have a heavy-duty sewing machine (or wanted to get a shoe-repair place to stitch it for you)

Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
neillarson

Thanks for the input. I have ordered an F2 in sand and an F802 in sand. I will use the 802 daily for my work laptop and kindle plus some junk. I hope it will hold my Macbook Pro 17 but I have doubts. I also added a single slot insert for the F2 for my body. I think this will hold everything but the monopod, and I am gong to look and see if i can find a lighter and shorter pod anyway.

Monopod
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

Default Monopod

Many camera bags use to have straps/loops on the bottom for a tripod or monopod. It helped sell the bag. But the monopod on the bottom of the bag never works. It sticks out and pokes people, gets caught in doors and makes it hard to set down without tipping.

For those who want to carry a monopod, I strap it to the shoulder strap! You can tie it on with rope, bungie cord, or some Velcro straps sold in boating/camping stores.

(Long Lens bags come with Velcro loops for monopods.)