Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tripods > Davis & Sanford Tripods

BHQ11 tripod head questions
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Default BHQ11 tripod head questions

I had a couple of questions about this head, and can find almost no information about it on the internet. There is only one stock photo I can find on the internet:

1. What are the differences between the Davis & Sanford ballhead models BHQ11 and BH11?

2. Could someone possibly point me to a link to user's manuals for these products?

3. In the picture above I see the following knobs: main (ball) lock, quick-release lock, and a third knob which is probably pan lock. Is there another knob in back for tension control which is not pictured? Does anyone have additional pictures which may illuminate the situation?

Last edited by domenica; 10-11-2012 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Off the top of my head, and not owning that particular head, I'd say that the "tension control" is achieved by how hard you tighten down the main ball knob. I've only seen a separate tension control (achieved by essentially a coaxial knob either within the main knob or at the other end of the main knob's shaft) on the pricier heads. If there is a separate BH-11 (and it's not just some store's carelessness in identifying the model number; there's not one listed on the Tiffen site, and they should know) I'd expect it to be one without the Quick release.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Off the top of my head, and not owning that particular head, I'd say that the "tension control" is achieved by how hard you tighten down the main ball knob. I've only seen a separate tension control (achieved by essentially a coaxial knob either within the main knob or at the other end of the main knob's shaft) on the pricier heads. If there is a separate BH-11 (and it's not just some store's carelessness in identifying the model number; there's not one listed on the Tiffen site, and they should know) I'd expect it to be one without the Quick release.
For the sake of concreteness, I have attached a picture of the BH11. It appears to have a quick-release. So there goes that hypothesis.

One difference between the picture of the BHQ11 in the original post, and the attached picture of the BH11 is that the BHQ11 seems to have a "coaxial knob."

I assumed that the coaxial knob was pan lock, but perhaps it's tension control? In that case, is there a separate pan lock knob not pictured?

Incidentally, many of the made-in-China ball heads on eBay have the separate tension control knobs. So it's not something only found on pricier heads.

Has no one ever seen or used a Davis and Sanford head?

Let me reiterate my request for more and better pictures and a downloadable manual for these products. Also, it would be nice if someone at Tiffen were monitoring this thread, and could weigh in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran 2012-10-24 * 11.25.01 AM.jpg (9.9 KB, 3 views)

BhQ11
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Default BhQ11

The picture you show is our BHQ11 head. It has a seperate control knob for pan lock, ball tilt drag and ball tilt lock. Three control knobs in all. The head has a 11 pound capacity and it has a quick release with safety. BHQ11 is all aluminum structure is covered by our 10 year warranty.

We do make a BH11 head, but it is only sold on our TRAVERSEB11 tripod and head combination. The BH11 has 2 control knobs, one for pan and one for ball locking . BH11 also has a quick release with safety. This tripod and ball head combination is also covered by our 10 year warranty. Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboden View Post
The picture you show is our BHQ11 head. It has a seperate control knob for pan lock, ball tilt drag and ball tilt lock. Three control knobs in all. The head has a 11 pound capacity and it has a quick release with safety. BHQ11 is all aluminum structure is covered by our 10 year warranty.

We do make a BH11 head, but it is only sold on our TRAVERSEB11 tripod and head combination. The BH11 has 2 control knobs, one for pan and one for ball locking . BH11 also has a quick release with safety. This tripod and ball head combination is also covered by our 10 year warranty. Hope this helps!
Thanks, lboden. Indeed, your response is very helpful. I think that is a definitive answer to question 1 of my original post.