Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tiffen Filters

Diffrent between IR Filter and Hot Mirror IR Filter
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Default Diffrent between IR Filter and Hot Mirror IR Filter

Hi plz enplane me the different between IR Filter and Hot Mirror IR Filter and in which condition should i chose the one of them
thx

Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM

An IR filter will pass only infrared light; a hot mirror IR filter will cut off IR light. So they're exact opposites in effect.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 PM

wt ll be effect when i use ir filter or hot mirror if filter enplane me details thx..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

If you use the IR filter, all visible light will be blocked; depending on your digital camera (many, especially high-end, cameras already have a hot-mirror IR filter over the sensor to block IR light from striking it) you may or may not get a picture; if you do, you'll need a very long exposure. If you're using film, you'll find out how sensitive the particular film you're using is to infrared - unless you're using IR film, my guess is "not very".

If you use the "hot mirror" IR filter, only visible light will be able to reach the sensor. As I said above, most high-end digital cameras already have a hot mirror directly over the sensor. You can find out if yours does by taking a picture while you use an infrared remote control (like for a TV or DVD player) aimed at the camera. If the camera doesn't have a hot mirror, the IR LED on the front of the remote will show up bright.